UN WebTV, “The situation in the Middle East (Syria) – Security Council, 7919th meeting
7 Apr 2017 – 1. Adoption of the agenda
2. The situation in the Middle East (Syria).
For the video webcast of today’s meeting, click on one of the links below.
Click here for the English language version,
Click here for the version in the original language of speaker.
The Russian delegate’s assertion that the U.S. cruise missile attack on the air base from which the air attacks on a village originated, that such actions constituted “a flagrant violation of international law” is both incorrect and an incredible assertion coming from the country which invaded and purported to annex the Crimea and which has invade the Donbas region of the Ukraine, as the representative from the Ukraine underlined. Both areas of the Ukraine remain under Russian military occupation.
On potential legal justifications for U.S. military action against the government of al-Assad in Syria, see
(1) “A strong but narrow legal justification for military action in Syria: The key to building a strong coalition,” The Trenchant Observer, August 27, 2013.
(2) “REPRISE: The U.N. Charter, International Law, and Legal Justifications for Military Intervention in Syria—Obama’s Debacle in Syria — Update #90, December 12, 2012.
(3) “Continuing massacres in Syria, at Daraya and elsewhere; legal justification for military intervention — Obama’s Debacle in Syria —Update #78, The Trenchant Observer, , The Trenchant Observer, August 26, 2012.
(4) “U.K. publishes legal justification for taking military action in Syria (full text and link),” The Trenchant Observer, August 29, 2013.
On the August, 2013 chemical weapons attack on the town of Ghouta, and evidence of Syrian government responsibility, see
“Details in U.N. inspectors’ report on chemical weapons massacre at Ghouta point ineluctably to al-Assad (with link to report); more commentary,” The Trenchant Observer, September 13, 2013.
The Trenchant Observer