1) Barton Gellman, “The Election That Could Break America; If the vote is close, Donald Trump could easily throw the election into chaos and subvert the result; Who will stop him?” The Atlantic, November, 2020 (currently on their website).
2) “Trump’s creeping coup d’état: Democrats must get ready to impeach again (Part I)”, The Trenchant Observer, July 25, 2020.
3) “Trump’s creeping coup d’état: Democrats must get ready to impeach again (Part II),” The Trenchant Observer, July 27, 2020.
4) “Trump’s blatant assaults on democracy continue (Updated),” The Trenchant Observer, The Trenchant Observer, September 15, 2020.
5) “REPRISE: Rehearsal for a coup d’état? Violence in American cities and ‘the chaos president’,” The Trenchant Observer (Updated July 17, 2020), July 17, 2020.
The good news is that, among broader and broader sections of the country, the last illusions about Donald Trump are falling away. Even if they cannot say the words yet, more and more civilian and military leaders are coming to understand that Donald Trump intends to hold on to power no matter what the election results may be on November 3.
There is likely to be civil strife and violence in the streets, as already suggested by armed civil militia roaming the streets in some cities, without being arrested by the police.
Trump may well foment violence by his right-wing partisans, in order to give him an excuse to send in federal police forces, as he did in Portland. And/or National Guard troops, and even U.S. military, as he tried to do in Washinton, D.C.–in Lafayette Square, with other troops held in reserve ready to deploy.
Trump is a dictator-in-the-making, trying out his potential dictatorial powers every day. And standing with him, or behind him, is Vladimir Putin, who never ceases to receive favors from Donald Trump. The latest has been Trump’s taking down of the leadership and top reporters of the Voice of America and Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty (RFE/RL).
This has been a great gift to Putin, one of the greatest. Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty has broadcast to the Soviet Union and Russia for 70 years, embodying U.S. ideals of freedom of the press and independent journalism. It has been a real thorn in the side for Putin, who depends on propaganda and the state-owned media to maintain himself in power.
The good news is that the most important leaders in the country who are not Trump Cult followers or Collaborators, including military leaders, can now see the game Trump is playing. He means to remain in power at all costs, by force if necessary.
What can we and the Democrats do?
The House Democrats can draft articles of impeachment, to be updated as necessary, which can be quickly approved and sent to the Senate in the event Trump actually attempts to hold on to power by force, or other unconstitutional means.
The Trenchant Observer