“Defending the Right to Life and Other Human Rights During the Coronavirus Pandemic;” Lawyers for Humanity, Updated May 7, 2020, updated October 26, 2021.
Today’s update and a previous update to the above article follow:
October 26, 2021
The Brazilian Senate has recommended that some 70 persons, including President Jair Bolsonaro, be prosecuted for a number of crimes related to mismanagement of the Covid-19 pandemic, which has cost over 600,000 lives in the country.
The Congressional Investigating Committee’s report, which the Senate approved today, estimates that 120,000 persons died as a result of Bolsonaro’s crimes. The Senate recommended that Bolsonaro and others, including a general who served as one of four health ministers, be prosecuted for crimes against humanity.
It is quite possible that the International Criminal Court (ICC) will open proceedings against Bolsonaro for crimes against humanity. Brazil ratified the Rome Staute of the ICC in 2002, conferring jurisdiction on that body.
It is not likely, however, that Bolsonaro will be prosecuted while he is in power, as the Attorney General is his appointee. If Lula were to win the presidential election, however, prosecution could become a real possibility.
The case is particularly significant because the legal grounds justifying indictment of Bolsonaro could apply to other national leaders, such as Donald Trump, who might also be accused of crimes against humanity–and even one day prosecuted by the International Criminal Court.
1) Naiara Galarraga Gortázar (São Paulo), “El Senado de Brasil pide el procesamiento de Bolsonaro por crímenes contra la humanidad por la covid-19; El informe final de la comisión de investigación estima que “la estrategia macabra” del Gobierno causó 120.000 muertes evitables, ” El país, el 26 de octubre 2021 (19:36, Actualizad 21:24 EDT);
2) Redação, “CPI da Pandemia aprova relatório final de Renan Calheiros por 7 votos a 4; Texto pede o indiciamento de 78 pessoas, entre elas o presidente Jair Bolsonaro, e 2 empresas por crimes relacionados à pandemia,” Veja,o 26 de outubro 2021 (20h25, atualizado às 20h38).
October 20, 2021
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro may be indicted for mass murder and crimes against humanity for his malfeasance during the Covid-19 pandemic. A Congressional Investigation Report has recommended such actions, with supporting documentation.
1) Tom Phillips (Rio de Janeiro), “Bolsonaro should be charged with crimes against humanity, Covid inquiry finds Brazilian president savaged for ‘macabre’ and ‘slovenly’ response to pandemic and ‘deliberate neglect’ of indigenous people,” The Guardian, October 20, 2021 (16:22 BST);
2) Veja Redação, “CPI da Pandemia pede indiciamento de Bolsonaro em relatório final; Relator Renan Calheiros faz a leitura do documento, que pede o indiciamento de Jair Bolsonaro; votação deverá ficar para a próxima semana,” Veja, o 20 de outubro 2021 (às 08h20, atualizado às 13h53).
3) “Aziz: Tipificações de genocídio e homicídio foram retiradas do relatório; Presidente Jair Bolsonaro deverá ser indiciado por crimes como infração de medida sanitária, charlatanismo, crime contra a humanidade e de responsabilidade,” Veja, o 19 de outubro (Atualizado às 22h56, Publicado em 19 out 2021 às 22h44).
4) Ricardo Rangel (opinião), “O relatório da CPI explica muito. E pergunta ainda mais; É inacreditável que, diante de tanto horror, Bolsonaro não seja denunciado, não sofra impeachment e ainda tenha apoio popular,” Veja, o 20 de outubro 2021 (16:33 h, atualizado às 16:36 h).
The indictment of Bolsonaro would be an important precedent for indicting other public officials for flouting science and politicizing the response to the Covid-19 pandemic, with the foreseeable consequence of the loss of hundreds of thousands of lives.
The Trenchant Observer