Developing. We are publishing this article as it is being written. Please check back for updates
To see a list of previous articles, enter “Ukraine” in the Search Box on the upper right, and you will see a list in chronological order.
To understand the broad context within which current developments in Ukraine should be considered,see
“Ukraine War, October 26, 2022: The context for analysis of current developments; The “dirty bomb” as a Russian propaganda distraction from current war crimes,” The Trenchant Observer, October 26, 2022.
1) Joe Barnes, Roland Oliphant, James Crisp,Jorg Luyken, Nick Allen and Danielle Sheridan, “Ukraine expecting long-range missiles next after West finally sends its tanks; Kyiv will receive 200 tanks, but is hopeful weaponry capable of striking 190 miles behind Russian lines will soon follow,” The Telegraph, January 2, 2023(9:54pm);
2) Joe Barnes, “Massive arms factory’ must be built in Poland to help Ukraine win war; Defence select committee chairman says move could transform Ukrainian armed forces into a more independent military,” The Telegraphy, January 25, 2023 (9:00pm);
3) Henry Samuel, “Emmanuel Macron under pressure to send Leclerc tanks to Ukraine after German decision; France has pledged to send ‘light tanks’, and president says he has asked defence ministry to ‘work on’ sending heavier vehicles,” The Telegraph, >January 25, 2023 (8:00 pm);
4) Michael R. Gordon and Gordon Lubold (in Washington) and Bojan Pancevsk (in Berlin), “U.S., Germany Approve Sending Tanks to Ukraine; Agreement to dispatch Abrams and Leopard tanks comes with challenges getting them to battlefield ahead of war’s next phase,” Wall Street Journal, January 25, 2023 (updated at 6:50 pm ET);
5) María R. Sahuquillo, “La entrega de tanques abre una nueva fase en el apoyo militar occidental a Ucrania; El suministro de blindados, considerado hasta ahora una línea roja, representa un claro gesto de adhesión a Kiev y abre la puerta al traslado de otros materiales ofensivos, El País,el 26 de enero 2023 (Actualizado: 08:22 CET);
6) Christian Segura (Kiev), “Rusia responde al envío de tanques de Europa y EE UU con bombardeos en toda Ucrania; Al menos 11 personas han muerto en distintas regiones del país tras la oleada de misiles, que ha dañado la red eléctrica de Kiev, Odesa y Zaporiyia,” El País, el 26 de enero 2923 (Actualizado: 14:21 EST);
The Trenchant Observer
A selection of the best articles from The Trenchant Observer is published on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday in the Trenchant Observations newsletter on Substack.
You may subscribe here,