1) Mathilde Boussion (Johannesburg correspondent), “Lavrov visits South Africa: Pretoria defends military drills with Russia, China; South African authorities recently confirmed joint military drills with the Russian and Chinese navies off the coast near Durban,” Le Monde, January 25, 2023 (09h56);
2) Steven Erlanger,”Turkey’s upcoming elections have delayed Sweden and Finland’s NATO bids. As he faces a tough fight for re-election, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey has been raising fresh objections to Sweden and Finland’s NATO membership bids,” New york times, January 30, 2023 (Updated 10:48 a.m. ET );
3) Andrew Higgins, “Czech Republic Elects Retired NATO General as Its President; Petr Pavel, a political novice, defeated Andrej Babis, a populist business tycoon and former prime minister, in the first of several important European elections this year,” New York Times, January 28, 2023;
4) Lluís Bassets, “Más que tanques; Al filo del primer aniversario de la invasión, el Kremlin recibe un claro mensaje. Los carros de combate le dicen que es absoluta la resolución de los aliados de Ucrania,” El País, el 25 de enero 2023: 23:00 EST);
5) Lluís Bassets, “More than tanks; On the verge of the first anniversary of the invasion, the Kremlin receives a clear message. The tanks tell him that the resolution of Ukraine’s allies is absolute,” El País, January 25, 2023,(23:00 EST);
6) Marc Bassets (Paris), “La guerra en Ucrania debilita al motor franco-alemán en Europa y tensa la relación; Macron y Scholz intentan acercar posiciones en materia energética y militar mientras ven cómo el centro de gravedad de la UE se desplaza hacia el este,” El País, Actualizado el 30 devenero 2023 a las 02:55 EST):
7) Marc Bassets (Paris), “The war in Ukraine weakens the Franco-German engine in Europe and strains the relationship; Macron and Scholz try to bring positions closer in energy and military matters as they see how the EU’s center of gravity moves eastward, Le Monde, updated January 30, 2023 (2:55 am EST);
Be the first to comment on "Ukraine War, January 30, 2023: South Africa welcomes Russian foreign minister SergeyLavrov, plans joint naval exercises with Russia and China"