Developing. We are publishing this article as it is being written. Please check back for updates
To see a list of previous articles, enter “Ukraine” in the Search Box on the upper right, and you will see a list in chronological order.
To understand the broad context within which current developments in Ukraine should be considered,see
“Ukraine War, October 26, 2022: The context for analysis of current developments; The “dirty bomb” as a Russian propaganda distraction from current war crimes,” The Trenchant Observer, October 26, 2022.
1) James Kilner, “Ukrainian commander reveals true scale of losses – and pays the price; commander says all 500 of the original soldiers in his unit have been either killed or injured as he calls for better training,” The Telegraph, March 17, 2023 (5:11pm);
2) Daniel Michaels, Jess Bravin, and Isabel Coles, “Russia’s Vladimir Putin Faces Arrest Warrant by International Court; International Criminal Court’s move is linked to forced deportation of children from Ukraine, Wall Street Journal, March 17, 2023 (updated at 5:47 pm ET);
3) Julian Borger and Pjotr Sauer, “ICC judges issue arrest warrant for Vladimir Putin over alleged war crimes; Arrest warrants issued for Russian leader and his children’s rights commissioner for ‘unlawful deportation’ of Ukrainian children,” The Guardian, March 17, 2023 (20.58 GMT);
4) Mark Landler, “Arrest Warrant From Criminal Court Pierces Putin’s Aura of Impunity; A highly symbolic move by the International Criminal Court, which accused President Vladimir V. Putin of war crimes, carries moral weight,” New York Times, March 17, 2023 (Updated March 18, 2023, 1:20 a.m. ET);
5) Charlie Savage, “The U.S. has long been wary of the I.C.C., but relations have been thawing; Many democracies have joined the court, which investigates war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity, but Washington has been concerned that the tribunal could someday try to prosecute Americans,” New York Times, March 17, 2023;
The Trenchant Observer
A selection of the best articles from The Trenchant Observer is published on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday in the Trenchant Observations newsletter on Substack.
You may subscribe here,
Be the first to comment on "Ukraine War, March 17, 2023: The International Criminal Court (ICC) indicts Valimir Putin for war crimes in Ukraine; The horrendous human cost of the war"